#BookMarketing for Indie Authors: Preparing for Author/Book Fairs

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
In this post, some general tips about setting up an eye-catching table at book and author fairs.

Let me tell you about the first time I had a table at a book fair.

I was representing The Worcester Review at the book fair of the Mass Poetry Festival. I had never done any events like that before, and I was completely unprepared. I showed up with a box of back issues, an envelope of one dollar bills for change, some flyers about The Worcester County Poetry Association and a sign that I made in Microsoft word and printed out on my 8.5 x 11 paper on my home printer, which only printed in black and white. I got to my table and discovered that it was a ratty old folding table with a cracked and blistered top. I had no tape to hang up my sign, nor any way to prop it up. I had no book stands to prop up my books, so I had to lay them flat on the cruddy table. My display was pathetic.

Since then I've upped my game. In fact, at my last author fair at the Worcester Public Library a fellow author with whom I've traded publishing advice over the years suggested I blog about some tips for author events, so here goes!

My Table at the New England Authors Expo. Vertical signage, book stands, postcards, and a banner. Looking sharp ;)


What should be in your book fair kit?


  1. A table cloth. Some venues will provide them, and then you won't need yours, but far better safe than sorry. Even if the table isn't cruddy, a table cloth looks nicer than a naked table.
  2. Masking tape, scotch tape, scissors, string, pens. You never know.
  3. Book stands. Buy a few. They don't need to be fancy. You can get the simple wire ones like libraries use, or acrylic ones, or even use decorate plate stands, but you need to have a way to prop up your books.
  4. Copies of your books! How many? Be realistic. While you don't want to run out and leave readers wanting, you also don't want to lug around a hundred books and then only sell two. To be totally honest, I've never sold more than seven books at an event. I usually bring 5 to 10 of each of my books, and I've only ever sold out at two events, neither of which were book fairs.
  5. Eye-catching color signage and some way to vertically display it. You can have a sign printed on tri-fold poster board to make a very tall display, you can get a banner from someplace like vistaprint and a banner stand to hang it on, or for a cheaper option, you can buy some nice looking but inexpensive picture frames, print out signs, and display them in the frames. I particularly like the frame option because it makes an elegant display and you can customize the signs in the frame for the event in question.
  6. Credit card swiper. Set up an account with PayPal or Square or some other vendor and have a way to accept credit cards. Who carries cash these days?
  7. Small bills for change. Because actually some people do carry cash these days.
  8. Business cards, bookmarks, or postcards with your book info on so those who prefer to get digital copies have your information when they get home.
  9. A sign-up list or an app on your phone/ipad to collect Email addresses for your mailing list.
  10. Optional: A candy bowl. Give people a reason to linger over your table!
With careful packing, you can fit all of this into a rolling suitcase and know that you have everything you'll need for a great day! Have fun with it!



If you enjoyed this post, sign up for a mailing list and never miss an update!

* indicates required
Email Format

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature